Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

I am 58 year old female and have returned from my doctor

I am 58 year old female and have returned from my doctor having presented my problem which was seeing a bright red blood smear on my toilet paper. i have since menopause been back and forth to the doctors with a sighting of blood a pin prick say after intercourse which has not been as frequent . Thedoctor has put this down to vaginal atrophy and recommended creams which i have to say i have not tried. I have had an ultra sound scan in the past and some kind of vaginal investigation which was fine but i can't remember when. This time I went because the blood red smear startled me and since my husband has just gone through a colonoscopy bowel cancer has been in my mind. We are both following a high fibre diet for last 6 weeks or so so my bowels are regular frequent and loose all the fruit i think. we are also trying to lose a few pounds. I told the doctor this but was told to my relief that she was sure it would be vaginal atrophy as it happened directly after intercourse and she gave me an internal and said everything was fine. My question is then why do they not check in case it was a rectal bleed ? We do not have bowel screening here until 60. I feel fine by the way but would like to know why it is assumed it's not rectal .I myself think it must be related to the intercourse or it would be a massive coincidence. I had a clear smear in 2013 and we have them every 5 years here and a cystology in 2013 which was fine . Although the doctor reassured me then i still am worried because she didnt seem bothered it might be rectal and what with my husband having a bowel polyp discovered recently which has been removed it prompted me to buy a reputable bowel cancer kit which i am in the process of doing. We do not get screened here until 60. Apologies for this but doing the first sample i am not sure whether there was blood in the stool or could it have been an undigested raspberry i had been eating. I am getting very nervous and extremely worried and in trying to safeguard my health I am becoming extremely anxious to the point I can't think of anything else and waiting for test results etc is intolerable for me. I have spent so much money on this sight already asking questions related to this . My doctors I am sure must think I am a pest and the information on the internet is alarming. i am not sure i should even be buying a bowel cancer test which is accredited by the way in the UK as being very reliable and the test gets sent away . My doctor didnt suggest it . I have had no further bleed since last time I had intercourse but since i had passed a motion as well confused as to whether it was atrophy or something else.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidblood on the toilet paper after frequent bowel movements is most commonly from hemorrhoid bleeding. you should ask your doctor for stool occult blood testing to see if there is blood in your stool. if there is no blood in your stool, you can wait until 60 for colonoscopy. the blood after vaginal intercourse is most likely a separate issue and due to vaginal atrophy after your menopause.using KY jelly lubricant can help. using vaginal estrogen creams can help decrease the bleeding episodes as well. making sure you are properly lubricated prior to intercourse can help. let me know if you have questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well I have bought stool test and that is what i am doing but as i said would the reddish tint in the stool be blood or from the raspberries. The smear on the toilet paper was either from the intercourse or the stool and as far as i know i dont have piles. i feel fine and the doctor gave me an internal but said it was likely to be the atrophy no mention of anything else .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we dont do colonoscopies at 60 just a blood stool test
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
am i getting over concerned?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it could be red from food like tomato skin or tomato bits or bits of red pepper which can turn stool red.you should not be wiping your stool and vagina with same toilet paper. this can cause urinary tract infections.I suspect more likely to be blood from vagina after intercourse and vaginal atrophy.you can do a stool blood test. it sounds like most likely for you it will be negative.keep working on eating a healthy diet, plenty of fruits and vegetables and fiber. these are better for your bowels.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in your opinion why would the doctor not even consider bowel testing having all the info i have sent you and would red fruit juice or bits of fruit give a positive reading on blood stool test?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, red fruit juice and bits of juice and beet juice can all cause red colored stools.where you eating beets?these red fruits will turn stool red, but will not turn a stool blood test positive.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for that you were correct about my husband having a polyp and it is sorted now . Do you think i am right to do a stool test even though the doctor hasnt suggested it and am i right in thinking bowel cancer is still rare .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am just worried because over the years i have gone back and forth to the doctors with bleeds after intercourse and never have they suggested it could be anything else and have only given me internals and a cystology in 2013
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you can do a stool test if you want to. I bet it will show negative for blood.bowel cancer is still rare.post vaginal intercourse bleeding would not come from a bowel or rectal cancer.
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Oncologist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much for your reassurance