Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

I have a swelling in my armpit that I am worried about. It

Hello, I have a swelling in my armpit that I am worried about. It seems quite large - it is sticking out a bit but is mainly under the skin. It is not moving It is a bit tender when i press it. There isn't any redness or sores and there isn't a spot or in growing hair so I'm really anxious its breast cancer. I was on the contraceptive pill from 17-34 and had my first baby at 34.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.

This is Dr. David

it is normal to have some fat in your arm pit which can cause some mild "sticking out" of the arm pit area.

are you overweight?

that is good there isn't a spot there.

you can have your GP doctor examine your arm pit and your breast. I bet they will find no evidence of cancer.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Why do you think this has just happened and why is it tender when I press it?
No, I'm not overweight at all. In normal BMI range.
I was hoping it was a spot or in growing hair as not sure what else it could be.
If breast cancer would I have any other symptoms or changes to actual breast too?

if you are feeling and pressing on the area frequently, this can cause it to be tender.

if you had breast cancer, you would feel a lump in your breast

or an enlarged lymph node in your arm pit.

let your doctor examine these areas if it is worsening your anxiety to do so.

at your age, breast cancer is rare and unlikely.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But I am really worried it is an enlarged lymph node as it had only been swollen the past couple of days and it's in the shape of lymph node and I'm not unwell generally so worried the swelling is a lymph node connected to breast cancer. Can enlarged Lymph node in armpit be only sign?

you are not describing you are feeling a lymph node in your arm pit

one swollen lymph node would not cause your arm pit to swell out

you would be able to feel it with your fingers.

go see your GP doctor.

I bet they will not feel or see a lymph node on ultrasound in your arm pit.

I bet you don't have breast cancer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry I shouldn't have said swelling - It is a a small lump that I can feel under the skin that is sticking out a little when you feel it. I probably shouldn't have said swelling. It's a bit bigger than a pea. My husband can feel it too. It started feeling tender yesterday.
Could this be a lymph node?

it is normal to have lymph nodes in your arm pit

it is normal to feel lymph nodes in your arm pit.

usually lymph nodes are deeper in your arm pit than just under the skin.

just under the skin you are probably feeling a small skin cyst

skin cyst can be tender from inflammation or infection.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, I'm just really anxious as to why the lump has just appeared as wasn't there a couple days ago and is tender to touch. I was hoping it was a cut or spot but it isn't. I know an enlarged lymph node (lump) in armpit can be sign of breast cancer so I'm really paranoid it is. Sorry to repeat myself but I am scared and I have a little girl so I worry about health
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm anxious about cancer anyway so think that's fuelling my concern

yes, I can see you are anxious.

your tender lump right below the skin sounds like a skin cyst or infected cyst or a benign lymph node.

it doesn't sound like breast cancer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've been anxious before and asked you questions and you've always reassured me.
Do you think there'd be other symptoms or changes in breast if it was?Thank you

yes, you would have other signs and symptoms if you had breast cancer.

from what you are describing, it doesn't sound like breast cancer.

go see your GP doctor.

I bet they will not be worried about breast cancer either.

let me know if you have other questions.

please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Oncologist
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your responses