Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

I know that Keytruda is currently being used to treat people

Customer Question

Hi.I know that Keytruda is currently being used to treat people with skin cancer. I have seen in the news that there have been some good results in trials for colon cancer as well with keytruda for where the person has microsatellite instability high (MSI-H) or mismatch repair deficiency (dMMR).In the UK, there is a stage 3 trial for this.My question is whether it is possible to purchase keytruda privately and get it administered in any country for someone with colon cancer who has MSI-H or MMR.Thanks
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

no, that is really impossible to do to get Keytruda to the UK for a patient.

do you have colon cancer in the UK ? or a relative?

have they tried to get into that clinical trial?

what chemo agents have been used already?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi. Sorry. I didnt provide background.This is for my mother who has stage 4 colon cancer.History:
Had surgery to remove part of colon with cancer.
1st treatment – Oxaliplatin and Capecitabine (8 cycles)
Treatment stopped due to cancer spreading to peritoneum.
2nd Treatment – Cetuximab, Irinotecan and Flurouracil (12 cycles)
Treatment now suspended due to cancer spreading further.
After pnly 4 weeks has now virtually stopped eating & very weak, so the trial is not possible.We can get pembrolizumab (keytruda) in the uk for lung cancer, but I guess it will not be authorised for use with colon cancer until the trial finishes. So the question was whether it is authorised for use with colon cancer in any other country ?Thanks,

there is no FDA indication for Keytruda in the USA so far. it is still under study.

I am sorry about your mother who has colon cancer. it sounds like her cancer is acting very aggressively.

I think it will be very difficult to impossible for you to get keytruda for your mother to try. the data is not there yet to show it will help colon cancer patients.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com