How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Orthopaedics
Satisfied Customers: 65276
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Orthopaedics Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

Hello thereHave had a knee artheroscopy 6 weeks ago, it is

Customer Question

Hello there Have had a knee artheroscopy 6 weeks ago, it is the 5th time I have had the knee done and after surgery was told by the surgeon that I have grade 4 damage to 2 areas on the knee with bone on bone in one area and the start of artheritis under the kneecap at the top. I also have a ruptured cruitiate ligament which he said there was no point in mending , on my return appointment after a week , was told I need a total knee replacement. I am 42 years old and my knee problems are as a result of sport injuries Knee replacement surgery will not be offered as an option as I am 'to young' Since the op , I have had consistant swelling, which I didn't have before, constant pain in the top of the knee, again which wasn't there before. I am taking 8 anti ibuprofen a day and icing the knee every night I struggle to do my day to day activities which involves riding and caring for 3 horses and normal other housewife stuff I have been offered no alternative options to sort out this problem, surely this is not as good as it gets? Should I seek a second opinion or are there any alternative therapies/treatments which would enable me to get back to normality, or just relive the constant pain and swelling or am I being impatient? Previous keyhole surgery and flushing improved the problem dramatically but this time it has made the knee 40% worse Any ideas? Cant afford the 15k to get knee replacement done privately and my medical insurance will not cover as is a pre exsisting condition Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.


I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you,


Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
Yes I can address all of this
First, have you had an MRI and do you have a report summary?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have had MRI scan but consultant has the report
I am not able to access this
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
And you are interested in alternatives?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am interested in anything that will help me live my life as actively as possible

I cant cope with only limping around an hour at a time waiting 5 years until im deemed old enough to receive a new joint

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Synvisc injections can delay the need for replacement. [hyluronic acid].

PRP is now being used by more orthopedists as well [platelet rich plasma] also an injection.

What I would do is ask about both of these an orthopedist, they will be most likely to know who is doing this in the UK.

see this page

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.