DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello thereHave had a knee artheroscopy 6 weeks ago, it is

Customer Question

Hello there Have had a knee artheroscopy 6 weeks ago, it is the 5th time I have had the knee done and after surgery was told by the surgeon that I have grade 4 damage to 2 areas on the knee with bone on bone in one area and the start of artheritis under the kneecap at the top. I also have a ruptured cruitiate ligament which he said there was no point in mending , on my return appointment after a week , was told I need a total knee replacement. I am 42 years old and my knee problems are as a result of sport injuries Knee replacement surgery will not be offered as an option as I am 'to young' Since the op , I have had consistant swelling, which I didn't have before, constant pain in the top of the knee, again which wasn't there before. I am taking 8 anti ibuprofen a day and icing the knee every night I struggle to do my day to day activities which involves riding and caring for 3 horses and normal other housewife stuff I have been offered no alternative options to sort out this problem, surely this is not as good as it gets? Should I seek a second opinion or are there any alternative therapies/treatments which would enable me to get back to normality, or just relive the constant pain and swelling or am I being impatient? Previous keyhole surgery and flushing improved the problem dramatically but this time it has made the knee 40% worse Any ideas? Cant afford the 15k to get knee replacement done privately and my medical insurance will not cover as is a pre exsisting condition Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
Yes I can address all of this
First, have you had an MRI and do you have a report summary?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have had MRI scan but consultant has the report
I am not able to access this
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
And you are interested in alternatives?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am interested in anything that will help me live my life as actively as possible

I cant cope with only limping around an hour at a time waiting 5 years until im deemed old enough to receive a new joint

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Synvisc injections can delay the need for replacement. [hyluronic acid].

PRP is now being used by more orthopedists as well [platelet rich plasma] also an injection.

What I would do is ask about both of these ...to an orthopedist, they will be most likely to know who is doing this in the UK.

see this page

http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/synvisc-knee-injections.html

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.