DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I got a tuft fracture on my middle finger (3rd distal phalnx)

Customer Question

I got a tuft fracture on my middle finger (3rd distal phalnx) about 7 weeks ago (dumbbell dropped on the finger). My finger was xrayed and put in an aluminium splint. I had a follow on consultation with an orthopaedic consultant who examined the xrays and the finger and recommended a smaller plastic protector. I would like to know:
1. I did not lose the nail from the finger, but i notice that the cuticle is a bit raised - as if a second nail is growing under the initial nail? What should I do about this?

2. The tendons on the finger seem to have tightened, so i am struggling to make a full fist. How can I regain the same level of grip?
Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JA

I am Dr. Thomas, double board certified doctor, and I will help you with this and any follow up questions.

1. leave it alone, it will probably come back to normal, or the top nail would come off. 2. This will require physical therapy. It will come with time and you should not force it right now. First, leave it alone, then see. Physical therapy if needed. Please let me know if you have further questions. Please don’t forget a positive rating.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Please don’t forget a positive rating.