DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I broke my left foot 8years & 8months ago. I have had 7 surgeries

Customer Question

I broke my left foot 8years & 8months ago. I have had 7 surgeries with still no success. I have had to use elbow crutches all this time which every surgeon has said both my C4/5& c5/6 and in my lower back L4 have been aggravated by the constant use of the crutches which has caused compression to the neck discs, which were replaced 29months ago and are now worse now than what they were now as I can hardly move my neck in any direction by half as much as I could before.
The lower back disc is compressed on the right side and hence is pushing out to the right hand side I was told by the first surgeon that the lower back had nothing to do with the crutches but it must be operated with some urgency but only when I get of the crutches which I thought had nothing to do with them!!??
Since all this a Professor Simpson has taken over my case as I have depression, gout, psychological problems and a low lying bone infection. My right foot has now started to collapse and so a further operation has been done on it which was not too successful.

Can someone please put in writing how my neck and lower back could have so much damage since I have never had any problems with either in my entire life of 48 years due to so long on these crutches?? I do know I walk with a stoop with the crutches and can only now do short distances before having to use a wheelchair and I also know my gait has changed a lot causing me to stumble and fall all the time.

I look forward to a helpful answer.

Robert Rollo
Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.

Hello from JA

It is because this is a somewhat separate issue.

This is degenerative disc disease of the spine.

Exact causes are unknown.

But with any wear and tear, the process can be accelerated. Discs dry out...become dessicated.

This lowers the ability of the spine to have support, resulting in arthritis of the spine.

Any injuries, bad posture, etc...makes it worse

Without the correct manual therapies, or with abnormal motion of the body, the disease relentlessly progresses.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Please don’t forget a positive rating.