Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hello I split my knuckle (right hand) about 5 years ago

Customer Question

I split my knuckle (right hand) about 5 years ago after punching a wall (silly me, yes I know). At the time there was a lot of pain, and swelling though this got better. Anyway 5 years on, I have no pain or symptoms but I was just wondering should I be worried, or concerned for the future. The middle knuckle has split and it is pretty visible. When I make a fist I can see the split and I can also manipulate the middle finger in a way where the knuckle looks normal if that makes sense. So I can push the left hand side of the split knuckle on the top of the right hand side of the split knuckle by shifting it towards the right.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello I was wondering what was taking so long

Ok i will wait. 2 more days

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Any trauma to a joint that alters the alignment of the joint will increase the likelihood of excessive wear and tear on a portion of the joint. Over time, this can evolve into degenerative arthritis, also called osteoarthritis.

However, at this point, 5 years after the injury, there are limited options that may help return the joint into proper alignment. Wearing external support, such as taping or a splint, which may help if used shortly after the injury, is not likely to help 5 years after the injury. If the poor alignment is more severe, then surgical correction may be an option, and you can be seen by a Hand Surgeon for consideration of whether this may be beneficial.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does that mean i can expect to have osteoarthritis in the future
It is not guaranteed that you will have osteoarthritis, but it certainly can increase the risk of developing osteoarthritis in that joint.