tazechip
tazechip, M.D.
Experience:  Board certified in trauma surgery and critical care medicine
18722459

Severe knee Pain

I have osteoarthritis is both knees. They are both severe. On my last scan, my left knee was shown to have Hoffas disease. My own GP had never heard of it and I believe it is a rare condition. I think I had a flare up of it last year (before I knew I had it). I had a few weeks where I really struggled to walk and I was shouting out in pain during the night. This past few days, I think I am again having a flare up of hoffas. I know little about it, there is not much on the internet and most of it is for people who have got it through running. Last night, I could hardly walk. I couldn't straighten my leg, if I tried the pain was through the roof. Eventually, I managed to get into bed - at rest it is easier. Since getting up this morning I am struggling in the same way. I have had to walk with two sticks, the pain is unbearable. I've taken paracetamol and ibruprofen. I cannot imagine this is just the arthritis as it came on suddenly and severely. I am currently using a TENS machine to try and get some relief. Can you offer any advice and managing the pain? I appreciate it may not be Hoffas and could be something else that has flared up. I would appreciate any help. My own GP is away until Friday.

Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--have you hand any physical therapy under a doctor's direction for this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The hoffas was only found on a routine scan. It wasn't causing a problem then. As the pain only came on last night no, I haven't had any further advice from my GP. As mentioned in my initial question, my GP is away until Friday.
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
OK Lynne. This is a problem where the fat pad below the kneecap gets stuck in the joint above the tibia. Usually rest, ice and ibuprofen is all that's needed but in your case this sounds more chronic and so you need to see a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a customized treatment program that may include a cortisone injection for this to be resolved. It's rare that actual surgery is needed for Hoffa's disorder
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your reply. As the pain came on suddenly last night I assumed it was the hoffas as it is in my left knee where hoffas has been detected but I have wondered today if it could be a ligament as the pain is so severe and I can hardly move
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
Lynne, without any obvious trauma it had to be the pre-existing Hoffa's that's the problem here. Nothing else would have just suddenly occurred overnight and Hoffa's can be very painful