Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

Hi Doctor, Ive been suffering from quite harsh abdominal

Customer Question

Hi Doctor,
I've been suffering from quite harsh abdominal pain. I first discovered this before I was going to play a game of soccer on the 8th June. I did however play and it hurt, after about 60 minutes I stopped playing because I couldn't run anymore. For the next few days it hurt me just doing the most basic things like walking and turning in my sleep. It did get slowly better and now I can walk and cycle fine but still cant put too much pressure on it and am unable to take part in physcal activity, even light jogging. I did try and play soccer on it a few weeks ago on the 8th July and again I had to stop playing from the pain so this could have hindered the recovery process I guess, although this was only a casual game and i didn't massively over exert myself.
The harshest of pains occurs in my left abdominal just above my groin when pressures applied on my right leg or the leg is stretched. However I also experience pain in my right groin and inside leg too. I've had this pain for a while although its never stopped me from doing sports like this has. I also suffer from back pain as well as the groin pain which has happened before the abdominal pain? Could this be interconnected?
Today I went to see a Doctor (I live in Japan and unfortunately Doctors don't speak English very well, which is part of the reason im asking you.) and the doctor gave me a physical examination which was fine. She also gave me an xray which was fine too. Which rules out a hernia, which i was initially worried about. But she couldnt give me much further advice about what I should do... Maybe due to limited english also.
The problem is I dont have insurance here so I pay for everything myself so I'm unsure weather I shoul go to hospital or not? If its a strain then how long can they last because ive been reading about 3-4 weeks but mines been much longer. Could it be more serious? Do I need a CT or MRI scan at hospital or just rest? Or should I do some light stretched to build up the muscles? I just dont know whats best and the doctors here don't seem to give me any good advice either. So I was hoping you could....
I look forward to your response.
many thanks,
Troy.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Troy,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Troy,
I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.
I do understand your anxiety. Pain in abdomen after exertion can be due to varied causes. I am happy that there is no hernia. However I would like to rule out few other causes - Anemia/ pinching of the nerve at the spine level {can be due to osteophyte or disc bulge}/ reduced blood flow to the bowel loops.
Next step - Few investigations like blood tests/ ultrasound of abdomen and MRI for Lumbar spine should give us more answers.
I do understand the insurance issue BUT if I were you I would evaluate the cause for pain.
Till than - Avoid exercise/ jogging or turning which triggers pain/ avoid alcohol, smoking/ have balanced diet, adequate fluid.
Wish you well.
Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Ken. I actually went for a clinical trial a while back and they took my blood and there was nothing wrong with it I dont think other than a high billirubin count. Could this have something to do with it?

All of the above possibilities you mentioned could they be a result of exercise which may have caused it in the first place?

Are ultrasounds and MRIs expensive? I've had really bad experiences with hospitals here in Japan and they never seem to be able to offer any helpful advice so it may be a case of me telling them what i want.

Also once I've found the root problem could there be further treatment needed, thus costing me more money?

Also I was wandering if it could just be a muscle tear or something from playing soccer? Can they sometimes last this long? I feel pain when I sneeze too (found this out today).

From Troy.

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Troy,
I am happy that the blood tests came negative.
I would get x ray for Lumbar spine and ultrasound to get more answers. MRI is expensive and it may be obtained if there is any abnormality on x ray. However I would get ultrasound for sure.
Once a diagnosis is made treatment would follow. The cost of the treatment will depend on the diagnosis. If i were you I would get this evaluated for sure.
Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Ken. What exactly is an ultrasound and is it expensive?
Is it also possible that this could simply be a muscle year or strain that just requires rest?
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
It could be just muscle sprain and rest should help BUT it is better to be safe than sorry later. Ultrasound is an imaging technique used to evaluated intra-abdominal organs {including muscles}.
Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is it expensive?

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is expensive but is cheaper than a CT scan for sure.