tazechip
tazechip, M.D.
Experience:  Board certified in trauma surgery and critical care medicine
18722459

I have had pain in my lower back, just above my buttocks for

I have had pain in my lower back, just above my buttocks for about 6 years, but it seems to be lasting longer and getting worse. 3 years ago there were some bony Spurs seen in my lower spine on an xray. I have stiffness in the morning when I wake up and have to change positions several times in the night due to pain and stiffness. Sometimes the pain eases for a few hours, but then starts again if I lift something or move awkwardly. I also get the pain if I sit down too long. I am confused as to which condition I may have as arthritis or spondylitis. As the descriptions I have read contradict each other. What tests might be useful. I am only 37 and female. Thanks
Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  tazechip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. We can continue after this if you'd like but you need an MRI of you lumbar spine to look for disk problems and possibly spinal stenosis--a narrowing of the canal the spinal cord passes through