DoctorGZ
DoctorGZ, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified in Orthopedics
53992458

I had a TKR 2 years ago and look like needing revision surgery.Prepari

Customer Question

I had a TKR 2 years ago and look like needing revision surgery.
Preparing information for a second opinion I have found that the Optetrak knee fitted, which uses matched Femoral/Poyethelene spacer components, had a spacer fitted from another set (the spacer was dropped after glueing the femoral component and a spacer from another set was used instead)
As the matter is sensitive I am trying to find independent advice on the significance of using unmatched knee components in matched sets before taking anything further.
Can you advise, or direct me to someone who can?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
HI
I am not sure of your exact question.
The prosthesis should be used as it is created.
In otherwords, the original designs are not made to mix and match parts
Is that your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am aware that the Optetrak femoral component is made as a matched set with the polyethelene spacer, and is not intended to mix and match.

However, my surgeon appears to have used a non-matched polyethelene spacer rather than replace both after he dropped the spacer.

What I want to know is how serious this is. How different are the unmatched parts? Will the unmatched femoral and spacer pieces grind and wear etc?

I'll opt out
Someone that has actually done this will need to talk with you
hang on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will do.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is clearly a limit to your expertise, and my patience too.

I found your website via a web search for answers to my problem, and I was obliged to join in order to get an answer to my question hopefully from you.

As you can't answer it I have now unsubscribed. Please confirm that as you cannot answer my question, that no charges will be made.

Regards, ***** *****