Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

Madam,I have to use the computer alot as this

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam,
I have to use the computer alot as this is what i use for my work. However i have noticed that i get a tension sensation that starts from the neck and extends into the skull of the head when i have been on the computer a long time. This also occurs sometimes when i am watching TV or it seems when i display some form of bad posture.
My head generally feels stiff and tight and i believe this is due to my poor posture. I get no headaches or other symptoms and generally i feel fine. It seems that the neck muscles at the front seem weak as when i move my head forward to look down, it goes fairly weak and the head feels loose. I kindly wondered if anyone knew any effective exercises for this neck pain to try and get my pain under control or strengthen the weak neck muscles? Does anyone please know what this condition may be, do you think it is due to bad posture?
Yours faithfully,
John Fellows
Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Shantal,

I do require an answer to this question it is very important. I would appreciate if you could find a professional to answer this urgently. I am disappointed at the long wait for an answer, especially when you market your site as such that you have thousands of professionals in your database.

I am very let down by the service from you at current and i am now getting rather frustrated.

Yours sincerely,

John Fellows

Hello John,
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Dear *****

We tend to put the muscles at the back of neck under tension when we are using a computer for long time as we tend to slightly flex our neck.This relative lengthening of the muscles at back of neck causes the muscles to get strained and that is why you get this tension sensation.

One way to avoid this is to keep your neck straight as far as possible while working on computer.Other is to take breaks from computer work and stretch your neck.

You may also practice certain exercises to strengthen the neck muscles.
I am giving below a link which explains the postural care as well as certain exercises for neck and shoulder region.You should especially focus on exercises under the isotmetric neck exercises portion.

http://www.mountsinai.on.ca/care/fammed/archive/education-and-your-care/patient-resources/musculoskeletal/neck-and-shoulder-exercises.pdf

This is the initial answer.You may ask for any clarification as required.