Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I suffer a disability due to polio and have a weak right side.

Customer Question

I suffer a disability due to polio and have a weak right side. I also walk with a limp and and have a shortened right leg. i try to take physio/exercise to maintain strength on the side. I suffer dully pain and cramping more regularly and increased risk of falling if i don't keep with my therapy.
I am thinking there could be a solution to improve my mobility and reduce my risk of falling.
Please could you advise on medical solution i could explore? i have suffered a number of misfortunes now based on exploitation of my disability as reason for the hostile treatment of me both at work and in my personal life.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like help from s professional please.

Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. or have you managed to get a doctor that cam help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes please

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

there are orthopedic surgeries which can break the bone of your short leg and help lengthen it so your legs will be more equal in length

this could help your walking

do you do have to see an orthopedic doctor about this

you should ask your GP doctor to refer you to see an orthopedic surgeon about this

have you consulted with an orthoopedic surgeon?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I have not responded, due to illness and so much going on with my divorce.

No, I have not consulted an orthopeadic surgeon. I was under the impression no one could help.

I have a curved spine (scoliosis). will this be a problem? I am finding it increasingly difficult to walk without benting forward to support my weak right leg.

What type of physiotherapic could i use to strengthen my week side an walk more upright as alternative to surgery or in the meantime?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
scoliosis can be a problem but can be corrected sometimes with physical therapy and braces.

special orthodic shoes can help

you might benefit from braces on your legs.

you might need to see a physical therapist to help you with exercises wtih your arms and legs to help strengthen that side.