DoctorGZ
DoctorGZ, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified in Orthopedics
53992458

There, I had a fracture in my radius a clean break over

Customer Question

HI There, I had a fracture in my radius a clean break over a year ago. The base of my thumb up to my wrist has be sore ever since. An X ray has shown arthritis in the base of my thumb. Could this fracture have caused the arthritis to start, or if it had be there could it have increased because of break.
Eileen
Category: Orthopaedics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My E mail is***@******.***. System is tell me its already used. Please send reply to this address. regaeds
Eileen
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
SAME QUESTION in more detail thanks.
I fractured my wrist 4th July 2014. Broken Radius, clean break. In Plastered for 6 weeks.
When plaster taken of pain in lower thumb, knew it would be sore for a while after been immobile for 6 weeks. Still have pain and sometimes swelling in that lower thumb area. My X ray was checked by An orthopaedist in May 2015 as I still have pain. He said I have the beginnings of arthritis in my lower thumb. I never had any pain in this area until after the Fracture. My question is, could I have got this arthritis from the Fracture or if Arthritis was beginning in this area did the fracture accelerate it to the level of pain & swelling it is at now.