DoctorGZ
DoctorGZ, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified in Orthopedics
53992458

I have swollen ankles, mainly left ankle, but my big toes

Customer Question

I have swollen ankles, mainly left ankle, but my big toes have started to feel sore. There is a numbness on the inside of my big toes. Feels like a burning sensation, almost as if I were to remove my toe nails my toes could breathe. Horrible pain! Any idea what's going on?
Category: Orthopaedics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
you could have poor circulation in your legs which can cause swelling and edema
as we all get older, or if you have high blood pressure or diabetes or peripheral vascular disease, this can cause poor circulation in your legs and swelling of your ankle.
bit toe pains can be from gout or too much uric acid in your system and in your joint spaces.
you could have neuropathy damage to your nerves in your feet
do you have a history of diabetes?
have you had a doppler ultrasound of your leg to check for circulation problems?
have you had blood uric acid levels checked for gout?