Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I'm a 40 year old male with no history of any medical

Customer Question

I'm a 40 year old male with no history of any medical conditions. Neither has my family. I'm very fit and work out in the gym at least once per week and like to walk long distances at least once per week too.I have a severe pain in the left side of my chest. It hurts constantly at a level of about 2/10 but when I breathe in deeply the pain increases to about 7/10.I've had a slight pain in the same area for the last 5 days. But for the last 48 hours it's been severe.I went to the doctors yesterday and they checked me out using an ECG and the results came back clearDue to the pain I felt it necessary to go to A&E. They gave me a full examination including another ECG, an x-ray and two blood tests. They ruled out any serious heart condition and blood clots.They could not give me a diagnosis and put it down to skeletal and/or muscular pain.They basically said they do not think I require any urgent attention for conditions which are life threatening.The pain eased a little last night before going to bed but I woke up in the middle of the night with severe pain.I've taken paracetamol and anti-inflammatory tablets which have had little effect.The pain seems to be a lot worse if I'm lying down (especially on my side) but if stood up or sitting down it's a little easier but is I try to inhale a deep breath it hurts badly.Because I can only inhale shallow breaths I'm getting panic attacks which is making it worse.
Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionDo you have acid reflux?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiI do not have acid reflux. The pain gets worse when I inhale deeply.
This is either a lung or muscular problemhave you had xrays of the chest?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive had chest x Ray and all clearI'm also pretty sure muscular or skeletal issue but keen to find out what it is and what can be done
Thank you for this replyUsually this is costochondritisInflammation of the chest wallanti inflammatories and rest usually takes care of it
Thanks for this question.Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)If you have more questions, just reply.