DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My 9 yr old daughter knocked her 4th toe of her left foot on

Customer Question

Hi, my 9 yr old daughter knocked her 4th toe of her left foot on the leg of a chair 36 hours ago. There is a huge bruise on the top of the foot and the toe is positioned closer to the baby toe than the 3rd toe (unlike on the right foot when they are spaced equally apart)She is not in pain. She can bend her toes although the 4th and 5th toe of the left foot do not curl to the same extent as on the right (though they do move). She said that was not painful.We are currently on vacation and would like to know if you think we can just leave this to heal or should we take her to a hospital to get it properly examined.I attach a photo taken of the foot with and without a flashthanks in advance
Dylan
Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

This is a typical bruising pattern of a hairline fracture of the bone behind the toe.

Usually that would be painful to walk.

However, exam and x ray is the only way to fully exclude this possibility.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but if it a hairline fracture then what would the procedure be?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

That depends on where it is exactly.

Pain meds, cane or crutches, sometimes a cast.

Please click a positive rating

Find me as needed.

I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/