Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My daughter had a type 1 salter ankle fracture in dec2015 -

Customer Question

My daughter had a type 1 salter Harris ankle fracture in dec2015 - was not picked up for a week. When cast removed she had Achilles pain and been tip toeing since - stretches not helped serial casting helped transiently but she has reverted to tip toe walking and has intermittent pain - she has reduced dorsiflexion ankle - help!
Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 11 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David

how old is your daughter

More than half of young children who toe walk will stop doing so on their own by about age 5

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
she is 8...when she was starting to walk she did so normally but as she has got older she preferentially skips...she tripped over her own feet skipping and had a fracture - when the cast came off she had Achilles pain - she was referred for physio with pain and asymmetric tip toe walking - stretches did not help an US scan of the ankle showed no problem - she had 3 weeks of casting which seemed to help but soon reverted back to tip toeing on that foot - her ankle is stiff with reduced dorsiflexion ( I am a GP)

usually as she gets older and adds more body mass, her body weight will help stretch the scar tissue in her ankle and will correct for the toe walking.

toe walking on just one foot can beg awkward for her body mechanics.

skipping means she is still trying to keep weight off of that food.

having her wear high top shoes may help her have more of a correct foot position when she walks

is she able to wear shoes or boots with that foot?