tazechip
tazechip, M.D.
Experience:  Board certified in trauma surgery and critical care medicine
18722459

I have horizontal tear of the medial meniscus. With an

I have horizontal tear of the medial meniscus. With an associated parameniscal cyst.
No displaced meniscal fragment, lateral meniscus is intact. No loose bodies, no knee joint effusion. No Baker's cyst. No trochlear dysplasia. No patellar subluxation. Mild chondropathy. no full-thickness cartilage loss. No skeletal lesion. Muscles and tendons good.
became symptomatic 7 months ago. After months of physio with slowly reducing but unresolved symptoms went for mri then appointment with orthopaedic surgeon. A late patient caused appointment to be somewhat rushed but he seemed to recommend trimming torn meniscus. We are in initial stages of booking surgery - arthroscopy.
My symptoms are mild - no locking up ect - have improved over time but knee still doesn't feel quite right but no real pain. Just can't exercise run/walk/ect as long or as far without a grind/sensation of tiredness in joint appearing. If I went beyond that point knee would go stiff the next few days. But if not going beyond then all ok.
Question: with mild symptoms is it worth the surgical invasion and loss of meniscal tissue to tidy up a fairly benign tear. i.e: should we struggle to keep as much meniscus as possible for as long as possible, even if torn, to prevent chondropathy- or is it better to remove deteriorating/damaged meniscus to separate it from non damaged tissue. This subject to the fact that the tear is having only a mild impact to quality of life.
thankyou.
Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 months ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

How old are you?

And are you athletic in the sense of regular exercise, golf, sports, etc?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Dr Chip - i am 45 - Prior to tear : running 5 miles twice a week, + hill walking and tai chi. Occupation is heating engineer so lots of kneeling. Have returned to work with compression bandage and kevlar knee protectors. Now swimming and have built up to around a mile with no problems provided not two days in a row. Thankyou
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
just written reply ok. thanks
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 months ago.

The phone call offer wasn't from me and you don't have to accept it

First off, you could--if you will--just live with this.

But considering what you've just told me, if I were your doctor, I'd suggest the arthroscopic surgery just to clean up the edges of the torn meniscus since it sounds like that's still causing you some problem

If you don't have the surgery the problem may well get worse over time and that might make the surgery more difficult at a later date

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
once torn the meniscus deteriorates more rapidly?
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 months ago.

Yes it can and with your being as active as you are it could well get worse unless it's trimmed a bit

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok doc - thankyou very much. Over and out! :)
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 months ago.

My pleasure and call on me anytime