Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My daughter who is 7 doesnt like my partner of 3 years. We

Customer Question

My daughter who is 7 doesn't like my partner of 3 years. We have lived together for 18 months?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 4 years ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I understand how difficult this is for all three of you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your daughter has known your partner since she is four years old and has lived with him since he is five and a half.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There are several reasons that this may be happening. You are not online now, but when you return I am hoping for some more details from you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I don't know what role her biological father played in her life, but she may be angry that he is gone.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

She may feel that he is standing in the way of restoring her original family and therefore acts resentful to her.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I know nothing about their relationship or how your partner responds to her. As an adult, he should be infinitely patient and kind with her, and never take her negativity to heart. She is trying to control the situation by doing this and he must not allow her to evoke any negative responses.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He must redouble his efforts to win her over.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

As a foster or surrogate parent he must learn the best methods for winning her over and being a successful parent to her.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

To that end may I recommend two excellent books available at www.amazon.co.uk .

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Here are the links which you can click on to look at the books and order if you wish.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

They will, without a doubt, provide very helpful information needed to get past this bump in your family relationship.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

and

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your daughter will learn to accept and ultimately love your partner as you as you do. She may also feel that he is taking away too much of your attention and love, and so you too must shower her with even more love so that she does not feel insecure or further abandoned.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Please don't hesitate to get back to me if you wish, on this question.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC