Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist; Parent
15718554

contact for my child

Customer Question

Hello, I split with my partner 3 week's ago. As he work's a 3 week contracted shift pattern I worked out around his shifts when he could have our child to stay an it work's out at 5 time's in 21 day's. he says's this is not fair as he wants to do overtime an other thing's. Which I don't think is fair as it will mean he will him only see our child a few hr's here an there. i'm at a loss as to what to do. I just want to know if i'm right to just work out a schedule out around his contracted hr's? because over time is a choice an surly our child should come first. thank you

Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 3 years ago.
Hello. While your child should certainly come first, he is obviously having a hard time with needing to make some more money and keeping in good favor with his employer. I think that it would be best to work out something else with him and maybe meet in the middle of his terms and yours. I say this because it may affect his attitude towards your child. It isn't right and certainly not the way it should be, but if he is that concerned with work instead of seeing his child, you shouldn't force him to want to spend time with his kid. Again, I agree with you that his priorities should be different, but they are not for whatever reason and you will not change his mind. I would lean towards what he is wanting to do, at least a little bit more.