hintonrae
hintonrae, Teacher and Youth Mentor
Experience:  Mother of Three (Teen, Middle School, and Toddler), High school Teacher, Youth Mentor, Tutor, Writer, Family Blogger, Grad Student
24745391

My doughter has two children with her partner and she is

Hi my doughter has two children with her partner and she is not happy letting her partners pedants have iunsupervised visits with her children. This is a joint division between her and her partner, the grand pedants are threatening to take her to court so they can have the children. Have the grand pedants have any legal rights to have unsupervised access to her children. Thanks
Category: Parenting
Expert:  hintonrae replied 1 year ago.
Hi, there. Thank you for your question and the concern for your grandchildren. To clarify, by "joint division," it sounds like you are referring to a joint custody situation? Were your daughter and her partner ever married or legally bound to one another?In the U.S., grandparents have very few custodial rights to their grandchildren. They are strengthened by having played a parental role in their grandchildren's lives or by being able to prove that they play a stabilizing role in their lives. Their appeals are also considered more strongly if they have documentation of their positive influence in the children's lives.The appeal is weakened considerably if the parents were not married, as the grandparents have no real legal right to be in the children's lives.The following article is an excellent discussion of the ins and outs of this very topic. I highly recommend it for further reading. I am, of course, also available for further discussion. I hope this has helped!
Expert:  hintonrae replied 1 year ago.
And I forgot the link! http://grandparents.about.com/od/grandparentingissues/a/VisitationRights.htm