Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Hello there, my baby is 18 month old and when he was born

Customer Question

Hello there,

my baby is 18 month old and when he was born he had really thick hair, he lost some at 5 months and the regrowth has been thinner, he continued to lose it again and once again it is very fine/thin hair. He has used t gel at 14 months as he had a very itchy scalp and cradle crap. he has eczema but not on his head. He has had deficiency in iron in the past, not sure what has caused this, could it be t gel, lack of a good diet???
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

It is not likely the T-gel, which we use all the time for seborrheic dermatitis (cradle cap) and I suspect the reason for the hair loss is the underlying scalp irritation.

Dr. A. Clark :

I suggest you pick up Nizoral 1% shampoo (ketaconazole) from your local chemist and shampoo his head with it three times weekly. To work you need to apply and then rinse, then follow with another lather but leave it on his head for a few minutes while you bathe him. This should help clear the rash and stop the hair loss over the next month or so and then it will begin to grow back over a few months.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll watch for your return to chat.

Dr. A. Clark :
Please remember as you exit chat to rate my service as that is the only way experts are compensated for their time! If you feel unsatisfied with my answer at all please don't exit but just hit the REPLY tab and let me know of the issue or question that you have. I will be happy to continue working with you and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek and I hope that I can earn an excellent rating from you.

Dr. A. Clark :

I hope you will return to chat and let me know if you have any questions.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions and if not I trust you will return to chat to rate my answer favorably.

Dr. A. Clark :

Regardless, have a Happy New Year.