Dr. Navitsky
Dr. Navitsky, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  US Pediatrician licensed in California living abroad
60732142

reg. epilepsy on a 12 year old child. What medicine/drugs

Customer Question

reg. epilepsy on a 12 year old child.
What medicine/drugs You recomend to easy a bit the epilepsy on this child.
rgds manfred
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Navitsky replied 4 years ago.

Jnavits12 :

I see that you have been waiting for a while after posting your question and I apologize that you were unable to receive an answer sooner. Your question is regarding the treatment of epilepsy in a 12 year old child. There are many different types of anti-epileptic drugs that are used in this age group and usually a treating neurologist is the one to decide which type to start with etc...depending on what the seizure disorder is like.

Jnavits12 :

I would first ask if this is the first presentation of seizures in this child? Has he or she been diagnosed with any particular type of epilepsy? What are his seizures like? What is his EEG (electroencephalogram), like? There are many newer epilepsy drugs that are fairly well tolerated although older drugs are still used in many disorders and generally what we try to do is to titrate the drug and the dosage so that we acheive maximum seizure control and minimum side effects.

Jnavits12 :

Thus the type of drug that would be beneficial to him may be a trial and error process but usually based on the type of seizures a child is having we know where to start in terms of drug choice. I will be watching out for a response from you throughout the day. Again my apologies no one was able to attend to you sooner! Thanks!