Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Good day, my son is 7 years old and he still cant express

Customer Question

Good day, my son is 7 years old and he still can't express himself verbally very well. Initial diagnosis suspect mild autism. Please, what are the traits I should expect in an autism child that should convenience is?
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Has he had any psychoeducational evaluation by his school, doctor or a specialist of any kind?

JACUSTOMER-1m6eai7k- : Not really.but, the school has tested his ability to learn and they are worried he will be unable to contend with his mates.
Dr. A. Clark :

Kids with autism generally are not able to relate to other kids or adults, don't really look anyone in the eyes and seem to be in a world of their own a lot. Of course, autism has many levels of severity so this can vary quite a bit from one child to another.

Dr. A. Clark :

Has he had hearing and vision tested?

Dr. A. Clark :

This is the best website on autism that might give you a better idea first of whether he fits in the autism spectrum of disorders and then what his doctor and school might do next to evaluate him. Here is the linkL

Dr. A. Clark :

link:

Dr. A. Clark :

I suggest first he have a thorough physical exam, hearing and vision testing, and then a complete evaluation by a speech pathologist to determine his level of speech development.

JACUSTOMER-1m6eai7k- : yes, he can hear and see perfectly. He does not have those traits - he can look you in the eyes so
Dr. A. Clark :

Lots of kids are misdiagnosed as autism where they actually have a vision, hearing or auditory processing disorder that a speech therapist can evaluate.

JACUSTOMER-1m6eai7k- : his doc
Dr. A. Clark :

If he is looking at you, listening and following directions but just can't express himself well then it does not sound like he has autism characteristics. Rather he may have a speech processing issue and a speech therapist can evaluate him for that.

JACUSTOMER-1m6eai7k- : his doctor has done most of this test. They claim he has a delayed speech but I don't understand how that could impact his learning and communicating abilities.
Dr. A. Clark :

That is why a speech pathologist needs to do the evaluation, not his doctor.

Dr. A. Clark :

Because doctors are not competent or trained to do a thorough speech and language evaluation, which is exactly what he needs.

Dr. A. Clark :

In ability to form a logical speech pattern is exactly what these specialist can detect and treat.

JACUSTOMER-1m6eai7k- : who is a speech pathologist? The concern I have have is that some speech therapist we have visited are unable to come up with diagnosis that makes sense to me. At the first instance, I am a Nigerian and most of the centers we have may not be that competent and that is why i am seeking better and more professional help.
Dr. A. Clark :

You just need to be sure they are a certified speech pathologist, though I'm not sure what they would be called there.

Dr. A. Clark :

The other possibility would be a certified educational diagnostician.

Dr. A. Clark :

These two specialist are skilled at sorting out autism from other developmental problems, such as speech and language issues.

Dr. A. Clark :

Here is an example:

Dr. A. Clark :

These specialists are trained to diagnose and treat all speech and language disorders in children with issues such as yours.

JACUSTOMER-1m6eai7k- : Can you make a recommendation for proper evaluation?
JACUSTOMER-1m6eai7k- : I'll like to know their country of abode and the organizations they work with.
Dr. A. Clark :

I would think either of the two I provided links to above can tell you where to receive help in your city/country. I just did a quick Google search and it appears you have many of such specialists in your country. Just call one of them for a referral to someone near you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Their websites list their qualifications.

Dr. A. Clark :

I have to see a few patients but I'll check back with you in a bit.

JACUSTOMER-1m6eai7k- : Quick to solve right?
Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. Sorry but it took longer than I thought.

Dr. A. Clark :

As to how long it will take to help him it really depends on the extent and underlying cause of his speech delay but with therapy he can be helped, I assure you.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy to continue to assist you when you return to this conversation.

I remain ready to assist you and hope you will return to our conversation so that I can complete our consultation. Thank you.
I had hoped I would see your return to this conversation but since you haven't I assume you found my advice helpful and perhaps you will now click on the accept/rating button so that I might receive credit for the time I spent visiting with you. Thanks and my best to your son.
I trust you will return to our conversation to favorably rate/accept my answer. If you have any further questions please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good day Dr. Clark,
I'm totally unhappy with the way you attended to my initial interaction with you. I believe, as a doctor, you're trained to handle parents that may come to you ignorant and confused. It wasn't my interest to bore you with my worries that's why I paid a month salary over here for less than 5 minutes unsatisfying discussion.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Jack

I'm sorry you feel that way and certainly I did not intend to offend you and never for one minute considered you ignorant or confused, just a concerned parent. I was not bored with your worries and spent quite some time researching your son's problem and looking up a couple of specialists in your country.

My concern is giving you the best advice that I can and I sent you a couple of requests to return to our conversation only to be sure I had answered all of your questions. When you did not respond after a day or two I switched our conversation over to this mode, rather than chat, to allow you more time to respond. That is why I am surprised to finally hear from you a week later and even more surprised to find that you are unhappy with my initial response.

Please let me know how else I might help you and you should also know that since you did not rate or accept my answer you were not charged for this consultation.