DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am a single mother with a 10-year-old son. He did not sleep

Customer Question

I am a single mother with a 10-year-old son. He did not sleep well last night and ate too much candy with his friend this morning, so I don't know if this has something to do with it. But he came and told me that he had been 'cruel' to about ten snails in the garden, that he cut their bodies with scissors and dissected them. We also have gerbils, gold fish, and rabbits, and he is nice to these animals. However, he told me that he realized he was being cruel to the snails AFTER the fact and that while he was cutting them he enjoyed it. Is this normal?
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.

Hello from JA

Actually , for a 10 year old boy this can be normal.

In fact what is fairly astounding is that he had the confidence to tell you about the behavior and express concern about it.

I don't see a necessary problem here, but of course I have not examined him and do not know him.

But 10 year old boys, with snails, have done much more violent things, and this did not mean anything specifically.

You are not giving me cause for concern here.
In fact it seems mature that he would tell you about it.

If he is upset about it, then talking to a professional is indicated.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.