Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

my baby (7 months) hit his head against the draw last night

Customer Question

my baby (7 months) hit his head against the draw last night and made a bit of a noise. He seemed to be ok with it (didnt cry) and he feel asleep soon after that. I kept monitoring him during the night and he seems to be ok. Because he knocked his head against the draw, would you think he might cause some brain injury or skull damage?
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

The fact that he is still doing well today tells me that he is fine. If the injury had been significant and caused injury to his brain he likely would have been knocked out last night.

Dr. A. Clark :

Whether or not their is a bump on his head at the time of the injury or now is not significant either.

Dr. A. Clark :

Does that put your mind at ease?

Dr. A. Clark :

Are you able to chat at this time?

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy to stand by but chat will time us out and disconnect us if neither of us posts a reply within 4 minutes.

Dr. A. Clark :

Perhaps you have stepped away from your computer so I'll exit chat but be standing by watching for your return.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. You're back!

JACUSTOMER-dstqnke2- :

yes I am back:-)

Dr. A. Clark :

Did you see my comments above?

JACUSTOMER-dstqnke2- :

yes I saw them

JACUSTOMER-dstqnke2- :

so - if he didnt get any black outs then he is ok then?

Dr. A. Clark :

Yes. Babies have multiple bones forming the skull that are not fused into one unit until the second year of life so they have room for the brain to grown and a lot of shock absorbency too.

JACUSTOMER-dstqnke2- :

THANK YOU

Dr. A. Clark :

Generally a child who strikes their head without a loss of consciousness is usually just fine. All we do if they are groggy is observe them for 4-6 hours and if they have no symptoms they can sleep. Since this happened yesterday then he should be fine.

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome.

Dr. A. Clark :
Please remember as you exit chat to rate my service as that is the only way experts are compensated for their time! If you feel unsatisfied with my answer at all please don't exit but just hit the REPLY tab and let me know of the issue or question that you have. I will be happy to continue working with you and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek and I hope that I can earn an excellent rating from you.

JACUSTOMER-dstqnke2- :

THAT HAS PUT ME AS EASE - AS YOU CAN TELL I AM A FIRST TIME MUM

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy I was able to help you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions and as you exit chat I hope you will rate me favorably.

I trust you found my advice helpful and will return to chat to accept/rate my answer.

I trust you will return to our conversation to favorably rate/accept my answer. If you have any further questions please let me know.
I had not heard back from you and trust you child is well. I would appreciate it if you would rate my advice. Thanks.
I hope your child is doing well but if you ever have any other problems for which you'd like my advice please feel free to reply here or with a new question, asking for me by name.

Have a great day and my best to your family.