Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

my grand daughter has a body temperature of 35.4 and is sweating

Customer Question

my grand daughter has a body temperature of 35.4 and is sweating a great deal, she has had calpol at 7.30pm and has taken fluids. I am concerned that her temperature has stayed low.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Navitsky replied 3 years ago.

Jnavits12 :

Hi there I realize this question posted from you in the middle of the night and apologize that no one was online to see it at that time and provide you with a quick answer. You may be up by now and if you would still like to chat I would be happy to try to help you! Thanks

Jnavits12 :

A few words for you if you do see this that may ease your worry. Our bodies are pretty good at keeping the 37 degrees that all of our cells like on the inside by different temperature regulation systems. Sometimes when we are sick we can have an elevated temperature or a temperature that is too low like your grand daughter. Usually we do this on purpose and it helps us to fight infection. However it is more common to have an elevation in temperature than a low one.

Jnavits12 :

The first thing I would ask is how you are taking the temp. If she is clammy and sweating as you suggest than any external way of taking the temp (ear, forehead) will not work as the sweat will break the contact with the skin....in addition to these ways not being that accurate to begin with. If the temp was oral consider her having opened her mouth while you were taking it.

Jnavits12 :

These would result in an abnormally low temperature.

Jnavits12 :

It is possible that it was accurate and it was a "reverse fever" that may have gone away by now. When you get up and see this feel free to reply if you would like more information or direction on how she is doing this morning and again I apologize that your question was not attended to in a timely fashion when you needed it!

Jnavits12 :

I am sorry that you feel that I have provided you with poor service! Especially since we never even got the chance to connect. If you are unsatisfied with the way that the site works please feel free to contact customer service! However please respond back if you feel that you would like more information about your question as what I posted above really was meant to only begin a conversation with you. If I do not hear back from you shortly what I will do is opt out of your question so that you can find another expert to work with. Thanks and I hope she is feeling better!

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JA

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.

Let me ask you, what questions remain for you?