Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Hi My boy is 12 years old and smaller than the average boy

Customer Question

My boy is 12 years old and smaller than the average boy in his grade. He plays rugby and do other sports. Very active and alwys busy playing with a ball.

Can I itroduce him to creatine to help growth, lenght and size?

I will manage the intake and excercises.

Michael
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

I do not recommend dietary supplements like creatine for a couple of reasons. First, it can be dangerous as the kidneys have to excrete a bigger load of waste products (urea) when excess protein is consumed and second, there is no evidence that creatine actually improves muscle growth or activity anyway.

Dr. A. Clark :

Not knowing what his height and weight are I can't tell you where he is on the standardized growth chart but it sounds like he has not hit puberty yet and thus his muscles are not really primed to get stronger.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'd be happy to take a look at his growth data if you want to submit it here but the major determinant in his growth is his genetics and his growth is affected by parental height and age at onset of puberty, which is also hereditary.

Dr. A. Clark :

Here is information about creatine you might want to take a look at that supports my recommendations:

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any questions.

I remain ready to assist you and hope you will return to our conversation so that I can complete our consultation. Thank you.
I trust you will return to our conversation to favorably rate/accept my answer. If you have any further questions please let me know.