Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

my baby is on neocate as he was hospitalised and has been found

Customer Question

my baby is on neocate as he was hospitalised and has been found to have an allergy to cows protein having had blood tests etc, he has been on this for 2 weeks. The paediatrician i saw in south africa (i am now in the uk) said to start to give him pepticate after the two weeks. he is 11 week-old and has responded well to the neocate. my question is do I stop the neocate completely and switch to the pepticate. or do I gradually introduce the pepticate so as not to upset his tummy too much. i have introduced the pepticate today and it is becoming more difficult to give him the neocate due to its disgusting taste.(even with a drop of vanilla essence added) please advice best was to move over to the new formula. should i expect any side effects from the pepticate i.e. upset tummy, extra wind vomiting, colic reaction. etc
Also when will i know if he has taken to the pepticate and it is agreeing with him or vice versa, if he is reacting to it and i need to go back onto the neonate.
Have asked my local GP and they don't really have much knowledge on the products and the nearest paediatric appointment is the end of July.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

I suggest the logical plan you have already touched upon and that is a gradual change. If you will just mix a little more pepticate with his neocate each day, perhaps a half ounce more each day, it will allow him to get used to the taste and enable his system to adapt slowly over a week or so to the new formula.

Dr. A. Clark :

I use this approach when changing formulas or even from breast milk to formula to ease the baby into it.

JACUSTOMER-bq2g31d2- :

do we alternate the feeds or add the neocate and pepticate together. also what side effects may we expect.

Dr. A. Clark :

They are both excellent hypoallergenic formulas and I understand Pepticate is less expensive in some areas and certainly doesn't smell like the Neocate, or the equivalents used here in the US

Dr. A. Clark :

You may mix them together so his system slowly adapts to the change. As to side effects, one can see constipation but usually some loose stools and gas, but don't be discouraged by that and just press on.

Dr. A. Clark :

Every change in diet at this age will cause some temporary upset but that will subside over a week or so.

JACUSTOMER-bq2g31d2- :

if he becomes constipated should we use lactose

Dr. A. Clark :

You may or just give him a little apple juice.

JACUSTOMER-bq2g31d2- :

also the necate is very high in calories, should he take more of the pepticate as he changes over

Dr. A. Clark :

Not really as long as he is gaining weight ok. The higher calorie formulas tend to cause more gas and diarrhea so he is actually less likely to do so on Pepticate.

JACUSTOMER-bq2g31d2- :

thank you

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome and good luck with your baby.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please remember as you exit chat to rate my service as that is the only way experts are compensated for their time! If you feel unsatisfied with my answer at all please don't exit but just hit the REPLY tab and let me know of the issue or question that you have. I will be happy to continue working with you and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek and I hope that I can earn an excellent rating from you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions as I'll continue to stand by. Chat does time us out every 4 minutes if neither of us reply.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'll go ahead and exit chat but let me know if you have more questions and I trust you will return to rate my answer favorably. Thanks

I trust you will return to our conversation to favorably rate/accept my answer. If you have any further questions please let me know.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
I remain ready to assist you and hope you will return to our conversation so that I can complete our consultation. Thank you.
Please let me know if you have any further questions and in any case I wish you and your family well.