Dr. Navitsky
Dr. Navitsky, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  US Pediatrician licensed in California living abroad
60732142

baby 15 months has runny nose and fever since saturday am.

Customer Question

baby 15 months has runny nose and fever since saturday am. fever started at 100.8 and fluctuated until today, Tuesday when after a nap it spiked to 103.5. No other signs except some loss of appetite. We are travelers to the UK, in London. What advice do you have on how to proceed
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Navitsky replied 4 years ago.

Jnavits12 :

Hello there this is Dr. Jody Navitsky and I can chat with you today, are you available?

Jnavits12 :

How is she doing overall besides the fever? Does she have any major medical problems like asthma or other issues?

Jnavits12 :

Traveling with a sick child is never fun but hopefully I can answer your concerns and guide you in terms of how to best help her at home. Have you used any medicines from home? What is your home country?

Jnavits12 :

So just the fever spike is not necessarily a reason to take her in to be seen by a doctor. It is not uncommon for a viral illness to have a higher fever a few days into it and not have anything that needs treatment. It could however be a sign that she is starting to develop a bacterial complication and that is why I ask about her condition overall.

Jnavits12 :

I'll wait to see if I can catch you online so that we can chat about your daughter's illness. Please let me know when you are available and I'll keep an eye out for a response thanks!

Jnavits12 :

I will be online for a few more hours tonight and although it would be best to give you more personalized information if I don't see a response I'll try to give you an answer with the information you provided before signing off for the night. Thanks!

Jnavits12 :

Good morning I hope your daughter's fever has broken! So my advice to you depends on how she is doing overall. If she is OK, cranky but not lethargic (really out of it), when her fever is down after giving paracetamol or ibuprofen than you are safe to watch her at home. You mention that she has runny nose and loss of appetite in addition to the fever. The most likely cause of her symptoms still is viral and unless she were to meet with some distress she should be able to get through this on her own.

Jnavits12 :

Having a temperature this high is scary for parents to see but fever itself will not cause harm, the temperature has to be much higher than 104 to do this. In addition a higher fever like this won't cause a seizure, as it is the rate of rise that correlates better with having a seizure or not rather than the temperature level.

Jnavits12 :

I would encourage you to keep her well hydrated, and if she is not eating you need to use an electrolyte solution like pedialyte. It is OK if she goes a few days with very little food intake but she needs to keep liquids going in. For a baby who is 15 months old it is hard to count the number of times he or she urinates as they are diapered but you should be changing at least 4 wet diapers

Jnavits12 :

a day sorry.

Jnavits12 :

Please do not hesitate to write back with more information or further thoughts after reading what I have written. I am available today on/off and again will watch for a reply. Thanks and hope she is better!