Dr. Navitsky
Dr. Navitsky, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  US Pediatrician licensed in California living abroad
60732142

I have an 11 month old daughter who was born at 7 months (pre

Customer Question

I have an 11 month old daughter who was born at 7 months (pre term). Recently she runs very high temperature of up to 39 degrees. She also has raised intracranial pressure.

The doctors have been suspecting Meningitis. This has been treated twice and it has returned a third time. At this point, I have lost faith in the doctors. What are these things and what can I do?
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Navitsky replied 4 years ago.

Jnavits12 :

Hi there your question has been posted a while ago and you are probably not around to chat anymore but maybe we can make contact later on today. This is Dr. Jody Navitsky and I am a US general pediatrician. I wouldn't necessarily say that a baby has raised intracranial pressure if her fontanelle bulges out only when her temperature is high and returns to normal when her temperature is normal. I would ask you what the results of her lumbar punctures have been, what organism has grown out of the cultures, what was she treated with, what was the time course of the three episodes, where in the world are you living....after her preterm did she have any residual problems with her lungs or anything else?

Jnavits12 :

In order to say that the pressure inside her head is raised I would look to the measurements that should have been made when the lumbar puncture was done to see if they are raised. I have a sneaky suspicion that maybe no lumbar taps were even done and she was treated "empirically" without testing which is not how we would proceed in the US with something as serious as meningitis.

Jnavits12 :

I look forward to trying to help you so when you get word of my response just type in a reply and I will be on the lookout for one. Thanks!