Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My 22 month old daughter never used a dummy or any other comforter

Customer Question

My 22 month old daughter never used a dummy or any other comforter as a baby. But now, through seeing the other kids at nursery and probably borrowing theirs, is asking for one at home. I did give her one to begin with, thinking shr wouldn't be dependent on it since she didn't have one when she was small, but she now cries when I try and take it away and has even recently started carrying a blanket around. Whst can I do to stop her mimicking others behaviour?
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

I see you are offline but let me go ahead and give you my advice now and then I'll watch for your return to chat.

Dr. A. Clark :

Obviously, you've realized that starting the dummy now was probably a mistake since now you can't get rid of it. On the other hand, with the orthodontically designed dummies (Nuk, etc) there really isn't any harm to the teeth as long as you don't dip it in something sweet for her. I suspect with daycare she is just going through some separation anxiety and the dummy and blanket are just comforting objects for her.

Dr. A. Clark :

I would not be too concerned with getting rid of either for now and rather just let her get adjusted to her daycare. My kids all had them for 3 years or so and then just gave them up themselves, or at least the dummy, or pacifier as we call them here.

Dr. A. Clark :

The only way to get rid of it is to throw them all away and don't buy any more of them so that neither of you is tempted to give in. She will fuss for a few days but at her age she will quickly forget it as at her age it is really "out of sight, out of mind" eventually.

I'm happy to assist you but see that you did not reply when you viewed my answer on 8/31. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you to help you resolve your issue with your child.
I remain ready to assist you and hope you will return to our conversation so that I can complete our consultation. Thank you.