Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My baby of 4 weeks was discharged last night from st Georges

Customer Question

My baby of 4 weeks was discharged last night from st George's following a fever. He had lumbar puncture as well which i believe is normal proceddure. He was fine in hospital.
Now we can't get him to stop crying. Temp is normal at 36.5.
Could the lumbar puncture be causing him any pain? What should I look out for?
Can I give my baby calpol yet?
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm Dr. Clark and I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

You are correct that lumbar punctures are common procedures and they do not cause much pain, even at the time it is done, and certainly not later. You may give him calpol for his discomfort since he does not have fever.

Dr. A. Clark :

Since he had the procedure done I assume he was ill and therefore I would think that his crying is just due to his underlying illness.

Dr. A. Clark :

I see you are still offline so I'll exit chat but be available should you have questions.

I remain ready to assist you and hope you will return to our conversation so that I can complete our consultation. Thank you.