DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My granddaughter, aged just 2, has developed a habit of pooing

Customer Question

My granddaughter, aged just 2, has developed a habit of pooing in her nappy just as she is going to sleep and then getting her hands in her nappy and gets it all over herself, cot etc.

She is a completely normal,intelligent, healthy little girl whose vocabulary is very good for her age.

Have you any suggestions as to how to break this cycle of behaviour - it has been going on for about six weeks?
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
First I assume she has been cleared of any physical problems by her doctor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She has no physical problems. She is a happy little girl in every respect, mixes with other children with no problems, loves swimming and dancing group etc etc . We think it might just be curiosity?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Yes it is probably temporary.

What I would suggest is scheduling potty time prior to bed and make this consistent with gentle explanations as to why.

With a number of days of such scheduling, I would expect the behavior to stop.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Please don’t forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We are already doing that and she sometimes does use the potty before bedtime but then still does it in her nappy. We are trying not to make an issue of it. Do you have any other thoughts or have you come across this problem before?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Yes it has happened, and she is young enough where it is almost certainly not pathological.
A consistent gentle message, and correct habit promotion should stop this with a little time.

The main physical issue is to make sure there is not chronic constipation, which will also contribute to this.

Please don’t forget a positive rating.