Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My 5 year old grand daughter had urine test today and doctor

Customer Question

My 5 year old grand daughter had urine test today and doctor said he is 90% sure she has type 1 diabetes he has given my daughter no advice other than if she gets d&v to take her to hospital and said he will refer her to diabetes paediatrician but that will take about 2 weeks is this advice right as we are very worried. Her brother my grand son had bone marrow transplant 5 years (my grand daughter was donor) ago because he had wiskott aldridge syndrome which is also an autoimmune disease.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Do you know what was the test result that prompted the doctor to say this?
I suspect that it was sugar in her urine, but did he say the magnitude of the result?
Is she having any current symptoms?

I had asked for some further information, but have not heard back.

Whether this advice would be right would depend upon the severity of the problem. Severity can be indicated by symptoms or by tests of the magnitude of the abnormal sugar levels, which is why I asked for the above additional information.

If she is having no symptoms or only mild symptoms and the urine test was not of greater magnitude, then it would not be a problem to wait 2 weeks for her to be seen. However, if she is having more significant symptoms or abnormality on the urine test, then it would be better for her to be seen more urgently.

If uncertain, it would also be an option to obtain a home glucose monitor to check her blood sugar at home, both fasting and after meals to determine whether it is significantly elevated. Whenever we have a newly diagnosed diabetic, we will instruct the patient or family in how to use these home glucose monitors, and some people grasp how to do it more quickly than others, so some laypeople may have difficulty in just buying one and using it when they get home, but if her parents can do so, it will help guide decision making.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.