Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

My son is 11 and was prescribed Epilim as he was having seizures

Customer Question

My son is 11 and was prescribed Epilim as he was having seizures in the night, he took the medicine for a year or so and had no further seizures, he discontinued Epilim around 6 months ago and has had seizures the last 2 nights running.

The day he had his bag removed they performed a keyhole procedure called something hitch? Then 2 weeks later he was back in with his kidney, it wasn't draining again so they have inserted a stent though his ureathera and this is due to be removed in December (6 months elapsed) and then we will see if the problem is rectified.

As we are currently staying in Italy they do not use Sodium Valporate here but they have Magnesium Valporate instead, now am I likely to cause his kidneys any trouble by giving him Magnesium Valporate to control hs seizures?

How long will Magnesium Valporate take to start working and should I taper him up to the suggested dose for his weight?

Are the any alternative medicines or therapies to put a stop to the seizures?

We do not have a doctor here in Itlaly and will have to take him back to the UK if we cannot control this.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Hello from ja
This question is, how is his kidney function?

And there are many anti seizure meds...why are you insistent on only one?