Dr SH
Dr SH, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

*** FOR JBMD ONLY PLEASE *** Pls move to general medicine

Customer Question

Hello. My daughter (nearly 4) seems to be scratching a lot, although there are no signs of a rash. She does have tiny bumps on her back, but I think this is from me massaging her with almond oil at night, something I started about a month ago. She scratches her head, back, bottom and legs.

Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Dr SH replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
I think that your child is having scabies which is a parasitic infection that causes intense itching.
Treatment of this condition consists of permethrin 5 percent cream (Elimite). Your doctor will advise you to apply this twice and the interval between each application should be one week.
To reduce itching, before going to the doctor you can do the following things:Cool and soak your skin. Soaking in cool water or applying a cool, wet washcloth to irritated areas of your skin may minimize itching. Apply soothing lotion. Calamine lotion, available without a prescription, can effectively relieve the pain and itching of minor skin irritations. Over the counter antihistamines like benadryl will help with itching as well.
So the bottom line is that she does require a visit to the doctor to confirm the diagnosis of scabies and for prescription of the medication for it.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Rate me for my services when you are done asking.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I requested that only JBMD answer, but she has not.

I don't believe she has scabies as there is no sign of irritation on her skin.

I would like to either cancel my question or request JBMD to answer it.

Expert:  Dr SH replied 4 years ago.
I understand that you do not think that this is not scabies. JBMD is currently not online and will get back to you once online.
Meanwhile you should read the following link:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/scabies/DS00451/DSECTION=symptoms