Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency Medicine
11269312

My daughter is 10 yrs old and has had a tooth ache for about

My daughter is 10 yrs old and has had a tooth ache for about 3 weeks, we have been to the dentist twice, he has x-rayed but said he can't see anything wrong, he said it's probably the high teeth growing, she said the pain is moving around so it seemed to make sense. She woke up again this morning crying again, saying she feels like her bottom teeth are loose. "These are her second teeth!" Feel I can't keep giving her pain killers, she has not got a temperature, and feels fine other than her teeth, just don't know what we should do or try next, any suggestions.
Mike
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

does the pain shift from upper to lower jaws also?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello do you see my message?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

does the pain shift from upper to lower jaws?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i am an ENT specialist and can help you on this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Customer:

Yes but mainly in the bottom

Dr. P. Jyoti :

on

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok

Dr. P. Jyoti :

there are a number of things to consider here

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the first thing is that this could be a gum disease

Dr. P. Jyoti :

although you have seen the dentist already and he has not indicated this, in view of the fact that the pain migrates this is possibly a gum disease

Customer:

would the dentist not picked up on this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes thats right, we would expect the dentist to diagnose this

Customer:

Just to say 2 dentist have looked at her

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but since the dentist was not able to give any other diagnosis, and she does have this pain, we should consider that the dentist may have missed this

Customer:

Okay

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it is possible that it is still at an early stage

Customer:

Good

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the second thing to consider is that it is not due to to teeth or gums but due to a nerve problem

Dr. P. Jyoti :

glossopharyngeal neuralgia can sometimes cause pain related to the teeth

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this could also be a TMJ disorder

Dr. P. Jyoti :

temperomandibular joint disorder

Dr. P. Jyoti :

sometimes it can cause pain which is felt in the whole jaw and not in the joint itself

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the fourth thing is that this could be functional

Dr. P. Jyoti :

young girls will often complain of a vague pain in any part of the body specially when they are going through a stressful period

Dr. P. Jyoti :

children often have to undergo as much stress or even more

Dr. P. Jyoti :

functional symptoms are often developed due to a desire for more love and attention during these periods

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is possible if she is going through some stress in school for example

Dr. P. Jyoti :

all these need to be considered

Dr. P. Jyoti :

for now, i would suggest you ask her to try hexidine mouth wash

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is available OTC

Dr. P. Jyoti :

she should use twice daily and also massage into her gums

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the act of massaging can itself be therapeutic

Dr. P. Jyoti :

if the pain persists for more than 2 weeks after this then you should consult her doctor again

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this time go to an ENT specialist, or you can go to her pediatrician/family physician

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but i feel that simply using the hexidine should help her come out of this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish her good health and a quick recovery.

Customer:

She does get alot of love, as I am an older father, @ 54 semi-retired and devote alot of my time with her. She has just started her monthly would that have anything to do with it

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

thats right, is this her menarche? beginning of her menstrual periods?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

is this her first period?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello are you there?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

girls will often go through a lot of stress during their first period

Customer:

She does use a mouth wash, Listerine for the last 8 weeks, this pain has been going on for the last 3-4 weeks?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this can be a manifestation of this stress only

Dr. P. Jyoti :

let her use the hexidine which will work better

Dr. P. Jyoti :

some things like the pain migrating to different regions does suggest a functional pain

Dr. P. Jyoti :

let her use the hexidine and let her massage it into the gums, such massaging can be therapeutic even for functional symptoms

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.

Customer:

This is about her 4th

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but do try this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

Lips are slightly swollen,

Customer:

She just said each side of her nose hurts

Customer:

Hello are you still there?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

if her nose also hurts, and there is swelling of the lips, this could indicate a facial subcutaaneous infection

Dr. P. Jyoti :

cellulitis

Dr. P. Jyoti :

see an ENT specialist for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this can help in diagnosing the cause of the pain

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ask about all the causes i mentioned

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this will help lead to a diagnosis

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

The listerine would not cause the problem?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

no, it should not normally

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but in case someone is intolerant to some component of this, such pain may develop

Dr. P. Jyoti :

stop the listerine

Dr. P. Jyoti :

use the hexidine meanwhile

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Customer:

Thanks Mike

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello are you there?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Customer:

Okay just trying to print what you have told us

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok, glad to help

Dr. P. Jyoti :

please give a positive rating to end the conversation

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i will always be available for any further questions that you may have

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have a good day

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you can just copy paste into Word and then print it out

Customer:

There is one I thought gum dissease the gum bleed or was swollen or sore?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes, but in early stages there can be just pain without any visible signs of inflammation

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it is possible that she is just having very mild gum disease which she can feel but without any visible signs

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer:

but 3-4 weeks is still early gum dissease?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it could be a possibility. I am not saying that this is a gum disease, but it is a possibility.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Customer:

The dentist both have said that it could be her high teeth growing, is that not a possibilty then?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you have already said that she is having pain in the lower gums and these are her high teeth already

Customer:

That right that's what I thought but we did say that to the dentist, but I thought may be the pain would move around like neuralgia?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes as I said this could be a neuralgia

Dr. P. Jyoti :

we seem to be going around the same things once again

Customer:

Thankyou I will try your mouth wash today.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hope she gets relief with this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have a good day

Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor
Experience: Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency Medicine