Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

despite passing the click test at birth, it has been suggested

despite passing the click test at birth, it has been suggested that our 9 week old granddaughter be put in a brace.
As her father had to have a brace when he was a child, our granddaughter, as a precaution, has had two scans to check her hips. There are ball and socket joints on both sides but one side appears to be 'out of alignment' by 2%.
Parents have only been seen by radiographer and physiotherapist - no orthopaedic doctor has been in attendance to give advice.
Parents do not want to put such a young baby through any needless discomfort and distress .
Can you advise.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

The Pavlik harness is not painful or an "ordeal" for the baby I assure you. One of my granddaughters wore one for most of the first year and did great.

Dr. A. Clark :

The issue is that not treating congenital hip dislocation can lead to serious problems later on with the development of the hip joint and then may require surgery to repair, which certainly is painful and an ordeal I assure you.

Dr. A. Clark :

The radiologist reads the hip X-rays and sonograms and can make the diagnosis but I agree that an orthopedist needs to see her eventually but treatment must begin NOW.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions and if not I hope you will take advantage of the opportunity to rate my advice when you exit chat. Please feel free to ask for me by name the next time you have a question about your children.