Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)
Experience:  Many years of outpatient experience with all age groups
18722459

Diarrhoea

Customer Question

Hi there. My 11 week old baby was diagnosed with Cow's Milk Alergy on the same day she had her immunisations for Rato Virus. We changed her formula to Pepticate to deal with the food allergy. 2 days later she came down with diarrhoea and her test came back positive for Rato Virus. She was treated in hospital for 2 days then discharged. A week later she is still suffering from diarrhoea 2-3 times a day and the doctor keeps saying we must just rehydrate her. Can this diarrhoea be caused from the change in formula or could the rato virus still hanging around? Surely a week of diarrhoea should be treated with additional meds other than a rehydration solution? Thanks very much.

Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
A rotavirus vaccine should not still be causing diarrhea.
What do you mean by diarrhea.
What does this look like
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there. It is very watery and brown / yellow in colour. It contains little pip-like pieces. They have now increased to 6-7 diarrhea nappies a day. I have taken her to a doctor locally and they have taken a sample and cultivating it at the moment. It has tested negative now for rota virus. She has also now developed a chest infection which they believe is a secondary infection from the rota virus??? She is on augmentin and flagyl antibiotics now, along with a rehydrate solution. But not sure how she can test negative now for rota virus but have a secondary infection from rota virus?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--if she hasn't had a stool sample sent for bacterial cultures that would be key here since I agree this wouldn't be related to rotovirus even if she had tested positive for that. This sounds like a bacterial enteritis and she probably needs a switch in antibiotics depending on the results of those cultures.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. We are awaiting the results of the bacterial cultures. Is it possible that she could have picked up the rotovirus from the immunization for rotovirus that she received 2 days prior to her getting sick?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No, this wouldn't be from the vaccine but she may have caught the virus either just before or just after the vaccine since it wouldn't have had time to immunize her
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your response. In your opinion though, could the change to the hyper allergenic formula (Pepticate) cause diarroea?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That's also a possibility but not very likely. Please let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you