BabyMD3
BabyMD3, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Board Certified Pediatrician on staff at Childrens Hospital Los Angeles and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
63680953

Our 11 month old daughter seems well in herself but we have

Our 11 month old daughter seems well in herself but we have a small concern. Today she filled her nappy with a stool that was around 75% silver. It looked like paint, shiny.

Wondered if that is anything that needs checking out?

Adrian
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  BabyMD3 replied 2 years ago.

BabyMD3 :

Hello! I would like to help you with your question.

BabyMD3 :

Can you describe what you saw a little bit more? Can you think of anything like maybe a crayon that she could have eaten to cause this discoloration of her stool?

BabyMD3 :

Was there any texture to it?

BabyMD3 :

Has she been eating, drinking, and otherwise pooping okay without any apparent abdominal pain or stomach upset or loss of appetite?

Customer:

It was integrated with her normal stool and was an amount about the size of a golf ball. It was soft putty texture, I touched it. It looked shiny and a bit like a matt finish paint, very light silver/grey.

Customer:

We don't have any crayons and don't think she has ingested anything

Customer:

She is eat I ng

Customer:

She is eating and drinking fine, going to the toilet fine. Fractious but teething

Customer:

A few days ago her stool very dark in colour - much darker than normal. Sorry forgot to say

BabyMD3 :

Well at 11 months old you would be surprised at what they can get their hands on and quickly put in their mouths. It is very common at this age. It could have been something that rolled under the couch or something. Since she is teething that increases the chances that she put something in her mouth to chew on for relief from the teething and then swallowed it. If there was no blood, abdominal pain or recent vomiting, then she will likely be just fine as she was able to pass whatever it was without difficulty. Take a picture of it if you can in case it happens again and continue to observe her stools for any changes but it sounds like she just ingested something that her tummy wasn't able to digest and her intestines safely passed it thru her stool without causing her any discomfort.

BabyMD3 :

Dark colored? What had she eaten before her stool was dark colored? Any vitamins or medication?

Customer:

No vitamins or meds. She ate spaghetti with tomato sauce and veg the night before

BabyMD3 :

Many foods and medications especially those high in iron (like red meat, etc) can temporarily darken the stool. Observe her next stool. If it is normal in color and consistency, then I wouldn't worry at all.

Customer:

OK thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

BabyMD3 :

I think your daughter will be just fine. I sounds like she passed whatever she consumed without difficulty. Just observe her next couple of stools just in case. If she develops an tummy upset or pain, then take her in to your Doctor to have her checked but for now just observe her. She should be just fine.

BabyMD3, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience: Board Certified Pediatrician on staff at Childrens Hospital Los Angeles and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Expert:  BabyMD3 replied 2 years ago.
Hi Andrew!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. How is your daughter? Did my answer help?

Let me know,
BabyMD3