BabyMD3
BabyMD3, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Board Certified Pediatrician on staff at Childrens Hospital Los Angeles and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
63680953

My daughter is nearly 3, since she turned 1 she has suffered

Customer Question

My daughter is nearly 3, since she turned 1 she has suffered with night Time sickness,very rattle and contested,snotty nose. Chest infection after chest infection. She is a very very pale colour,lost pinkness to her lips and extremely lethargic. She is seeing a specialist at moment but they do not seem to get to bottom of what is wrong with her. Please can you help?
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  BabyMD3 replied 3 years ago.

Customer:

Hello. I would like to help you with your question but I have a couple of questions for you so that I can assist you better. Are her symptoms only at night or do they also occur during there day but perhaps milder? Has she had any testing to evaluate possible immune system deficiencies? If so, what tests were done and what were the results? Has she been screened for Cystic Fibrosis? Is she growing and developing well otherwise? or is she also having poor growth and weight gain in addition to the pale lips and lethargy? Is there any family history on either side of respiratory or immune system disorders?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They have tried 3 times to do a sweat test but we're unable to get her to sweat enough. She has had antibody blood tests. Result was haemoglobin of 10.9g/dl with a low MCV of 68.2 fl.white count and platelet were normal. She had an eosinophilia of 1.8x10E9/L suggesting she is atopic. This does not mean anything to me, and have not had it explained to me. My daughter does have all symptoms throughout day too,she is thriving very well and gaining good weight. We only have family history of asthma.
Expert:  BabyMD3 replied 3 years ago.

Ok great that there are no problems with growth and development. I have a few more questions....

What kind of specialist are you seeing? Pulmonary or Allergy/Immunology?

Do you know if the infections are always in the exact same location? or different parts of the lungs? Have any X-rays or scans been done to assess the anatomy of the lungs and vasculature?

Also have any immune deficiency tests been done outside of a complete blood count and antibody tests that you described (like complement levels or genetic tests)? Any hopes on trying for the Cystic Fibrosis test again or looking for genetic markers for that?

The high IgE (unless it was astronomically high) can occur in people with asthma or allergies so that doesn't concern me too much.

Thank you for your patience as I am trying to get as much information as possible so that I can help you...