Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)
Experience:  Many years of outpatient experience with all age groups
18722459

We suspect our 11 yr old daughter is gluten intolerant. She

Customer Question

We suspect our 11 yr old daughter is gluten intolerant. She has the standard stomach aches, flatulence, bloating, tenderness & occasional runny tummy as well as skin outbreaks appearing like hives, on exposure to Gluten. GP says that since she has been on exclusion diet for 18 months, and accidentally ingested gluten on Sunday, this has resulted in a more severe reaction. Is there a way that we can expose her to small amounts of Gluten in a manner so as not to cause a reaction but also to possibly desensitize her?
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--has she had any tests or studies for this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Up until today, no, as GP was not interested. Gave all sorts of vague - well it might be.... unresolving answers. She has also had the 'flu 5 times now back to back, just as she gets better, she gets it again.

I took her to GP again today and finally blood tests were requested and done. Will only get results in a week's time, but as she ate the Gluten on Sunday and today is Thursday, I am not confident that this will be sufficient to show what is really going on. She is still in a great deal of gastro-intestinal distress at the moment.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Audrey--was she doing fine on the gluten free diet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She was doing well. The gastric distress was markedly decreased and the skin reaction had stopped.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--definitely sounds like celiac but I would send her to a pediatric gastroenterologist for a full workup to nail down that diagnosis. Attempts at desensitizing celiac patients with small amounts of gluten so far haven't been very successful so I suggest she stick as close as possible to the gluten free diet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will keep pushing for that.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Let me know how it goes Audrey