Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

my daugher is 10 she has been ill for 10 days tummy pain and

Customer Question

my daugher is 10 she has been ill for 10 days tummy pain and lethargy. Tummy pain on right or left side is exacerbated when walking. She is in and out of bed. If she walk a little way she goes very pale and tired. Blood results normal, glandular fever negative. urine sample negative. I have been to the GP three times it is also not a appendix.
I am very concerned. She is usually a very active happy 10 year old who turns 11 in april.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Do you now which blood tests were done?
Has she had any type of imaging test, such as a CT scan?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

There are many different conditions that can cause abdominal pain and lethargy. The most common are various forms of infections, most of which are not serious and resolve spontaneously. Serious infections will usually cause an elevated white blood count, although this is not a perfect test.

It is also possible for there to be an inflammatory condition of the intestines or a growth in the abdomen. There can be an acid irritation syndrome, such as gastritis or ulcers. There also can be a functional condition, with altered muscular contractions of the intestines, both increased or decreased.

From the perspective of excluding serious illness, she has already had the bulk of the tests that would be indicated, but the other test that is considered would be a CT scan of the abdomen, which is why I asked the question above. Electively, it also may help to perform an endoscopy to look in the stomach, but this is usually only done for persistent symptoms.

If you need any clarification, please let me know.