Dr. Navitsky
Dr. Navitsky, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  US Pediatrician licensed in California living abroad
60732142

does a new born babysweat

Customer Question

does a new born babysweat
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Navitsky replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Navitsky :

Hi there this is Dr. Jody Navitsky and I am a general pediatrician US trained. I can talk with you today.

Dr. Navitsky :

Newborns can definitely sweat yes, places you tend to notice include the head and back...For most babies sweating can be normal, it can also be a sign that you are overdressing your little one for the environment he or she is exposed to, and that removing some layers may make your baby more comfortable.

Dr. Navitsky :

Sweating however can be a sign of working hard...which in a baby isn´t running a marathon but just doing normal feeding and crying etc...

Dr. Navitsky :

If you feel that your infant is not thriving and is sweating with feeds or when he or she gets upset I would mention it to your doctor as it can be a sign of something like congenital heart disease. Most of the time it is not the only sign so looking out for changes in breathing, color of the skin, weight gain etc..can also lead you to think of heart disease.

Dr. Navitsky :

So to summarize for you sweating can be normal, all babies just like adults have differing sweat glands in their bodies and some sweat normally more than others. Make sure you are dressing your baby appropriately for the surrounding air temp which is basically a light layer more than you or about the same as you....In addition make sure that there are no other concerning signs of working hard at feeding which for an infant should be pretty much easy and not ¨hard¨ enough to make them sweat. Hope this is helpful to you! Please do not hesitate to get back to me with further thoughts or concerns. I will be around a computer for about 20 more minutes then will be away from it for a while. Just type in a reply and I will do my best to get back to you ASAP. Thanks!!