Dr. Navitsky
Dr. Navitsky, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  US Pediatrician licensed in California living abroad
60732142

my toddler had a television fall off a unit in her bed room

Customer Question

my toddler had a television fall off a unit in her bed room while she was watching it with her older sibling age 14 the television hit one side of her face and side or her head left side cant see any bruising to head and face applied ice pops raped up on head and face and gave 5ml of nurofen childrens this happened on sunday morning I keep cheacking for apparent other injuries apart from a small bruise on her right arm she has been tired sleeping at times but cant tell as she cap naps as a toddler I have tried to make a doctors appointment for my toddler but cant at moment till the morning this was an accident . a lucky accape what best to do as a parent.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Navitsky replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Navitsky :

Hi there this is Dr. Jody Navitsky and I can talk with you, are you still available?

Dr. Navitsky :

I am a general pediatrician.

Dr. Navitsky :

Sorry about this accident unfortunately it is a common occurence.

Dr. Navitsky :

First things first, if it happened on Sunday I would continue to keep checking her for any signs of having an internal head injury, protracted vomiting, loss of consciousness, seizures, changes in how she moves or talks, etc...

Dr. Navitsky :

As long as she doesn´t present any of these you are more likely than not in the clear. With each hour that passes her chances of showing you signs of internal head injury decreae.ç

Dr. Navitsky :

sorry decrease.

Dr. Navitsky :

The fact that she didn´t loose consciousness right away when it happened is a good one, if she did and you just neglected to mention it I would be more concerned and encourage her to be seen right away, but if she didn´t all the better.

Dr. Navitsky :

As long as she continues to play and eat, and move and behave as normal she should be fine.

Dr. Navitsky :

I would take this as a lucky escape and use it as an impetous to make sure other things are childproofed at home too.

Dr. Navitsky :

Make sure the TV is either attached to the wall if a flat screen, or on a piece of furniture that she can´t climb or lean on where you are sure it is stable.....if you don´t have one then take the TV out of that room.

Dr. Navitsky :

Other common falls at her age include out of windows so make sure you have screens or another way to prevent this. Make sure your bookcases or other furniture she could climb up on like a ladder are either removed or secured to the wall.

Dr. Navitsky :

All of your cleaning supplies and medicines should also be in a cabinet where she has no access and make a habit of always putting them away after using them.

Dr. Navitsky :

When others are eating foods she could choke on like peanuts or popcorn make sure that there are no residuals on the floor and make it a habit of checking the floor many times a day even if just with a glance for things she could put in her mouth and choke on.

Dr. Navitsky :

So to summarize for you she is likely to be fine just because you are now close to 48 hours out from the trauma and she seems fine.

Dr. Navitsky :

I would watch her closely for another day or so and then just count your lucky stars, relax, and do your best to prevent another TV falling down as well as other accidents. I hope this was helpful for you. Please respond if you have any further concerns as I didn´t catch you online. Thanks!!