Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

Hi there, I was wondering if you could advise please regarding

Customer Question

Hi there, I was wondering if you could advise please regarding my 61/2 year old son. His right knee seems to give way a lot - without warning - and yesterday he fell to the ground suddenly because of it giving way. He says he gets a slight twinge of pain when it actually happens but thereafter it is okay again. In between times he runs about with as much energy and enthusiasm as all the rest of his friends. He is very active at school in PE, and after school classes, but I'll admit is a bit of a couch potato when at home preferring to play on the iPad or playstation after school.

Are the symptoms I've described above something to do with 'growing pains' do you think or heaven forbid do you think it is more serious than that?

I look forward to hearing from you.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Hello, Sorry about this symptom. It appears he has some structural defect and needs in person evaluation by pediatric orthopedic specialist who may decide after some tests whether he needs active treatment - meanwhile please use a support like knee-guard while he plays.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

If there is pain issue, please use hot and cold compresses or water treatment externally at knee giving trouble while bathing him and before sleep.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Growing pain would occur both sides and usually will not make him trip or fall.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again Dr Yogindra. We took my son to see an orthopedic specialist at the weekend who identified a popping inside my son's knees (both of them) when he repeatedly bent and straightened the joint. Although not painful he said it was a condition called synovial plicae. I'm not sure but I think he said this was a tear in the excessive cartilage tissue that children have (I may have remembered that wrongly) and that when his leg gave way it was because the tear had got 'caught ' somehow within the joint.

My son had three x-rays taken of each knee that showed nothing wrong with the bones, and the doctor has prescribed 2 sessions of physio, tens machine and ice therapy per week for the next two weeks whereupon he will examine my son again for any signs of improvement. If there is no improvement the doctor recommends an MRI scan and possibly keyhole surgery to repair the damage. Would this be your recommendation?

The doctor also said my son should continue to run around and take part in PE as normal, but apply ice packs to his knees for approx 10 minutes each time after these sessions, and as a matter of course each day when he gets back from school. Is this also a course of action you would prescribe?

I would have thought my son would need to abstain from activity for a while to allow the tear to repair - so I'm a bit cnfused. Meanwhile he had a very active day at school today whereupon his right leg gave way during Taekwondo this afternoon and his left leg while he was climbing into bed this evening. Thats the first time since Friday.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the diagnosis and treatment above and any advice greatly appreciated.

Hello, I agree with the advice. He may benefit from complete rest only if the problem is acute, only coming up due to very recent injury. In other cases, rest is not advised. Ice pack is just fine.
Please get advice regarding knee support (hose like pull-up thing) during sports.