Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)
Experience:  Many years of outpatient experience with all age groups
18722459

Dear Just Answer, My 6 yr old daughter is complaining about

Dear Just Answer,

My 6 yr old daughter is complaining about the following throat symptoms and has an unusual reaction to a sun burn during last summer when she was away in Thailand. Please could you put my mind at rest with the following.

Alice's symptoms.

1, She has 2 wart like things on a patch on her shoulder that was previously sun burned. Is this something to worry about?

2, My daughter is complaining of irritation in her throat when she drinks water. She describes the taste as smoky bacon. Again, is this somethings to worry about?

OTT worrying dad
Michael ;)
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi Michael. Can you more fully describe the things on her shoulder? How long has she had the throat problem and this only happens with water?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Chip,

The two little wart like objects do look like molusces ( A small growth in size and shape, much like a wart...) These appeared almost straight after the initial sun burn started to cool and fade. They are centimeters away from each other and there is only two of them. They are not irritable and do not hurt when touched.

As for the smoky bacon sensation in my daughters throat... Please let me correct this. Her exact words are 'smoky crisps' and yes it is only when she drinks water.

Best

M

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay Michael Molluscum contagiosa is indeed a viral condition but not serious condition but for now if these are bothersome they can be cauterized or frozen by a dermatologist. As for the problem with the taste of water, that sounds like she may be having some gastric acid reflux and still nothing too serious but I would have a doctor consider prescribing her some Zantac for two weeks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Chip,

Thanks again for the reply.

RE: Molluscum contagiosa...

My daughter already had this this a few years back. All through the description of the wart like thing itself does indeed look similar in shape and size... the two warts this time simply came up right after my daughter got sun burned and they haven't spread!

Do you have any further thoats on this?

Best

Michael :)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Michael, while the sunburn may have triggered the molluscum they can also occur out of the blue with no obvious trigger and they don't always spread. Have a doctor take a look at her, let me know how it goes, and please remember to rate my service to you