Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My eleven year old daughter has been unable to hold herself

My eleven year old daughter has been unable to hold herself when she has to urinate and get very little warning in her head to tell her she needs to empty her bladder. She also wets her bed at night as she sleeps through the weeing. We are using an alarm given by nurse.

Pediatric doctor saw her several years ago and could not find a problem. Bladder filled up and emptied which was checked with a scan.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Hello, Sorry about these issues. This is called day and night enuresis. Please ask her to exercise her bladder sphincter muscle by peeing in interrupted fashion - starting and stopping, several times during one act. This will gradually build up tone of this muscle. Also you may get prescription drug like DDAVP nasal spray, or oral drug like imipramine.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

If the problem is since infancy, it is called primary enuresis while if recently started, may be due to some psychological issues. Please consult your pediatrician for either condition.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. My daughter has had this problem from when she was at least 3 years old when I tried to get her out of nappies. She has never managed not to have accidents in the day and so have kept her in nappies at night. Now I just use a bed protector and occasionally she will wake up at night to go to the toilet. Have been told to try and get her to drink more to enlarge her bladder capacity. We are still struggling to get her to drink enough in the day.
You are welcome.
The extra fluid push should be limited to mornings and noons. After about 5 p.m., however, please restrict fluids and do not give milk with or after dinner.